Friday, May 15, 2009

The Well-Trained Mind

Confession time...I have owned the 1st and 2nd editions of The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home and yet I have never read the book. In fact, skimming is about all I've done.

Last week I bought the 3rd/10th Anniversary edition and I have decided that I WILL read it cover-to-cover this time. Attention wise I struggle with reading non-fiction, so this will be a feat for me once accomplished.

So far, I'm 50 pages in. I am actually recognizing some of the reading and wondering why I didn't continue reading in the previous editions. The writing is inspiring, but truthfully 775+ pages can be daunting for someone who has a hard time reading non-fiction.

The other question I've had is, "Why haven't I followed TWTM's teaching methods if I find it so inspiring?" TWTM presents a rigorous classical education. Add to the mix a mom/teacher with serious procrastinating tendencies and a couple of "Leo the late bloomers" and I honestly didn't think it was doable. It seemed too rigid for our family.

Even now, I'm not sure how it will fit in with our life, but I've been homeschooling long enough to have learned that gleaning and using something is better than nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment