Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Book Samaritan

One of the pros of homeschooling is individualized instruction.  It can also be a drawback when you realize that a particular curriculum item isn't going to work for your child....especially if it is the youngest child.  When something doesn't work with older siblings you can store the workbook/textbook to try it with a younger child in the future.  When it is the youngest child that the curriculum doesn't work for you are forced to deal with how to dispose of said item.

I've tried selling online.  Not a good fit for me as I'm a procrastinator and buyers understandably want their item as soon as possible.  I've tried the local used homeschool book sale.  That's discouraging because you end up having to sell it for dirt cheap.  Honestly, I would rather give it to someone who needs it rather than sell it for practically nothing.  That's where The Book Samaritan comes in.  This group of volunteers receives used homeschool materials and then disperses them to families in need for free.

This week I finally gave up on a curriculum choice that I had made four years ago.  It didn't work for child #3, so I tucked it away in the closet.  And now, it has proven not to be a good fit for her younger sister either.  I liked it, but I don't need help with reading.  It was a bit painful, but I admitted defeat, put on my big girl panties, and shipped the books off to The Book Samaritan this week.  Kind of reminds me of the Island of Misfit Toys. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment