Thursday, April 25, 2013

All About Spelling 1 and 2

warning: another spelling post ;)

All About Spelling

Okay, spelling for 11yo isn't going as easily as I would like.  I feel like it is my fault for not actually reading through the lessons or following the plan as laid out in the book.  I am learning that I can't rely on visual and auditory alone.  It worked for me, but she needs more.

This is what worked in level one:

  • she would practice the phonograms using the CD
  • I dictated the words and she spelled them on the dry erase board


Here is what I hit upon today and it seemed to work well:

  • showed her the word card and pronounced for spelling
  • she clapped the syllables
  • she spelled each syllable using the letter tiles
  • on her own she decided to mark the vowels as long or short according to if the syllable was open or closed
  • she pushed the tiles together and pronounced for spelling
  • she wrote the word above the tiles while saying each individual sound

A real stumbling block is our relaxed pronunciation of words.  I believe using different modes of learning (visual, auditory, and kinesthetic) will be powerful, however I think pronouncing for spelling will be essential for her success.

As the teacher I am now convinced that skimming the lesson won't work anymore.  I need to read the lesson and actually follow the suggested steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment