Friday, January 10, 2014

January 10, 2014

Well... we had a good start and then the week fizzled.  Wednesday was the "math" day.  Thursday we ran errands and I gave up when I remembered that I would be in town most of the evening too.  Today was improved somewhat.

The new format I tried out this week for a check list didn't work for me.  I felt kind of lost.  Currently tweaking it again for next week.

Math - I went back and reread a post I had made last year about the same subject - time spent on math.  Some new posts were added by homeschool parents who have taught math and science on the college/university level.  Their comments buoyed me.  Yes, we need to have a strong base in arithmetic, but it shouldn't take more than an hour each day to achieve.  Today I started to scale back on the number of math problems we do in a lesson.  I'm trying to find the sweet spot where we can maintain previously learned material while doing the fewest problems possible.

A couple of weaknesses we have to shore up.
1) I haven't figured out a way to help her recall of math facts.  Sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't.  I've looked at Timez Attack a few times.  Someone also mentioned Reflex.
2) She waits for me to explain things to her.  She needs to be able to look at a problem set and figure out how to work that particular set of problems without a mommy review.

No comments:

Post a Comment