Sunday, July 3, 2011

Planning Core Knowledge

Or, why I like planning textbooks.

I always wondered why I like textbooks.  I think I've got it.  They are easy to plan.  Count the number of lessons in a textbook, divide it by the number of weeks you intend to school, type the lesson number under the appropriate week, and BAM! you're done.
Then, there are things you want to use, like the Core Knowledge "What Your ___Grader Needs to Know," and planning can turn into a messy venture.  That's where I am.  I've planned subjects like math, English, and our history text.  Now, I'm faced with CK.  I know, I know.  Just pick it up and read when it fits in with whatever topic you are covering, right?  Well, in my case that means it will be forgotten.  Experience has at least taught me that much.

So, here I am today trying to pump myself up to even start the process of planning CK for my 9yo.  I think this would be a lot easier if they had their planners online like I saw announced last year.  I wonder what happened?  Maybe if I wait a few more weeks....nah, I might as well get started.

BTW, did you know the Core Knowledge Sequence is free online?

No comments:

Post a Comment