Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bed Bugs and Priorities

This summer we were exposed to bed bugs.  I had an inkling that we might have brought something home with us and then it was confirmed that the cabin we had stayed in had bed bugs.  Only one child had suffered from numerous bites, so I made a weak attempt to clean her bed.  I washed her bedding and vacuumed the top of her mattress.  Since the bites stopped, I stuck my head back in the sand and went about my merry way.  Until....my mother-in-law let us know that a month after the reunion they had found a bed bug.   Oh goodness.

Today I spent an entire beautiful sunny autumn day washing bedding and dragging mattresses, etc. out into the sunshine to inspect them for signs of bed bugs.  I was overwhelmed and asked hubby to pick up a pizza or something.  He cooked instead.  It was great, but I feel guilty.  What has happened to me?  We eat "out" (not cooked by me) more than we eat food I've prepared.  I'm at least 50 lbs. overweight.  The house is dirty.  And homeschool?  It doesn't match my original vision at all.

What is my homeschool vision?  It is hard to put into words.  I see us going about our day in a leisurely  manner instead of hurrying to check off each item on a to-do list.  We would have time for read alouds.  There would be time to cook dinner without pressure.  Learning for the sake of learning vs. school at home.  In one word?  Relaxed.

Now, how do I get there?

1 comment:

  1. I understand. I think I have lost my way somewhere along this homeschooling journey. I am trying to find my way back.

    Of course, I have always thought that getting lost on a road trip was one way to learn more about your surroundings. Maybe we are just learning :D

    ReplyDelete