Friday, September 3, 2010

Week 1 Wrap-up (Rusty Chain)


The first day was tough.  It was like trying to ride a bike with a rusty chain.  Lots of exertion without moving very far along. Add in some awful squeaking noises.  12yo - compliance with frustration and tears.  8yo - non-compliance with copious amounts of whining

Day 2 - It was like someone oiled the chain.  Not as much exertion needed.  Moved more easily.

Days 3&4 - Did someone put a new chain on the bicycle overnight?  School went smoothly and ended a couple of hours earlier (for the 12yo).

Day 5 - We're in the groove.  No, they aren't jumping up and down for joy, but they realize Mom is going to stick to her guns.  "We will be consistent."

I have always LOVED planning.  Putting the plan into action?  Um, well, I've never been too successful with that.  
Week 1 - 12yo  
This year I made a table for each of my students - days of the week across the top, subjects in the left-hand column.  I typed in what I thought we could reasonably accomplish in each block/cell.  I planned out four weeks in which the weeks are progressively more productive.  Week one we worked on basics with lots of review - handwriting, spelling, math, Latin (reading for 8yo), history, and science, etc.   It was just right.  Week two I'll add Christian studies and writing.  Week three - grammar.  Week four - full speed ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment