Sunday, September 9, 2012

Homeschool goes better when...

My efforts to homeschool actually go better when public school and the local private school are back in session.  There aren't any friends to play with so 10yo attends to her school work rather than thinking about what she is missing out on.  Add in our return to early morning seminary this week also and life felt comfortably routine.

Okay, so .... it didn't last long.  Lol!  I had a meltdown Friday morning when we returned from seminary.  The kitchen counters and dining room table were so loaded with junk that it made me want to cry.  I was so mad about living in a pig sty that I decided dejunking should trump academics.   I know it isn't the way to handle a very REAL problem (level 2 hoarders?), but at the time it was an emotional emergency.  Today I decided (again!) that doing a little dejunking each day will be better than losing an entire day of school.

Saturday the family attended a Renaissance Faire.  This is the 3rd(?) year my 17yo has attended with her best friend.  In the past she has worn one of her friend's dresses but this time she made her own.  I'm so proud of her!  My mother mentored her through the pattern fitting, cutting, and sewing process but she tried to let my daughter do the work. 

Back to the Faire.  There were a lot of vendors and my husband commented that he couldn't believe he had paid money to enter the faire just so he could spend more money ;)  Overall, it was enjoyable and I think it will make our history studies more meaningful.  People watching and jousting were probably our top activities though we enjoyed the music and crafting also.


No comments:

Post a Comment