Saturday, September 7, 2013

Meh week

Okay, the weather here has stunk!  Overcast and rainy ... to the point of flooding our back patio which usually doesn't happen until November or after.  It was too overcast too soon.  My body couldn't handle it and I started feeling blue.  In fact, we didn't even do school Thursday.  I had to make myself get up and get going Friday and even then we only accomplished a half day.

Last night as I sat there contemplating how dissatisfied I felt, I realized that it wasn't just the weather.  Our studies had felt disjointed.   This is what I think happened - I focused on box checking (making sure that we hit each subject at least once during the week).  Even if 11yo asked to keep reading science I said no because we had other things we HAD to accomplish.  If she wanted to read history, I said no because we had other subjects that we needed to cover.  It meant that we were only getting bits and pieces rather than a bigger more satisfying picture.

I still think that the first half of our day is good - 3r's (math, spelling, English grammar, Latin, and composition).  It's the second half, the loop, that needs some tweaking.  Box checking the content subjects doesn't work as well.  I end up feeling tied to "must do x number of lessons by ____ date."

Here's my tweak.  I'm going to keep a running list of things I want to read or accomplish under each subject heading.  We'll just keep going until we hit a good stopping place then we can move on to another subject.  I'll have to keep track and make sure nothing is getting left out (um, usually art or music).

No comments:

Post a Comment