Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oh, goodness!


I've been very excited to start Science in the Beginning, but I'm not a hands-on type of person.  Today I gave my procrastinating self the "just do it" talk.  I memorized the scripture "And God said, 'Let there be light,'" and took 11yo into our darkest room which happens to be the bathroom.  She immediately starts her silly laugh while I'm trying to recite "...and the earth was without form and void.  And dark was upon the face of the deep."  Do you know how hard it is to try to recite a scripture you've just memorized in a dark bathroom with a silly 11yo girl?  When I came to, "And God said, let there be light," I was supposed to turn on the bathroom light.  Well...it didn't quite happen that way.  Instead I turned on the bathroom fan.   11yo went from laughing to whooping.  I can't tell you how stupid I felt at that moment.  All I could do was laugh along with her but seriously I felt like a failure.  How could I mess up something so simple?  

This is how homeschool used to always feel.  I would plan out the "prefect" lesson or try following a scripted lesson and it always felt like a flop.  Cool ideas don't seem to translate into cool teaching experiences for me.


One good thing did happen today.  After school was over I walked through the living room and happened to see 11yo reading about coastal Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest.  We had read a book about Chinook Indians earlier in the day and she hadn't seem overly interested even though I thought it was a great book.  I was happy to see her take learning beyond "mom is forcing me to do this when I would rather be on the computer playing Animal Jam."



No comments:

Post a Comment