Sunday, November 17, 2013

Latin

When my mom was about 15/16 she boarded in a different city during the week so she could take the classes she needed to be accepted into nursing school.  She was so independent!  I can't imagine letting one of my girls live elsewhere just so they could attend a different high school.

Why do I mention my mom's experience?  She took Latin at her new high school.  Listen, I'm not the brightest light bulb on the Christmas tree, but while listening to my mom's stories, I mourned that I could never take Latin.  I didn't think it was offered anymore.  And then ... I found out that it IS still taught.  And even better?  There are self directed courses marketed to homeschoolers.  I was so excited!

I am so grateful for Memoria Press and all that it offers to homeschoolers.  If you look at my side bar you'll see that I use many of their books.  First we tried MP's Prima Latina and Latina Christiana 1, but it was the blind leading the blind.  I didn't understand what forms, conjugations, or declensions were.  Yes, I should have been familiar with those terms from studying English grammar, but I wasn't.  I was confused!


Then we found Lively Latin.    I finally found a Latin course that helped me to understand what I was doing.  Later, short video lessons were added which made it even better.  I was in love!

There is one con that I can think of ... printer ink.  If you download the lessons you will need to print them.  With so many color pages it could become a costly book.  We are currently in a position that this doesn't affect us.

Pros:

  • workbook format written to the student
  • short video lessons (approximately 5 minutes or less)
  • classical and ecclesiastical recordings of vocabulary
  • Roman History included along with Art Study
  • I finally get to learn Latin!

The best reason I love this curriculum?  My 11yo ASKS for it!  : )

Check out this YouTube to see what is inside Lively Latin's Big Book 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment