Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reflecting

Many moons ago when I was an elementary education student I was required to keep a reflection journal.  Hated it!  Well, the truth is it is a good idea.  When you sit down and ponder what is working and what isn't you are able to make the changes (or not) necessary to provide a better education for your students.  

This evening while writing about our school day I realized I had to make a change for 9yo.  I had to admit the grade three Daily Reading Comprehension passages are just too hard for her.  You can't practice comprehension skills if you can't read 15% of the words.  Tonight I put on my big girl/teacher undies and bought the grade two book.  I'll admit I was a bit disappointed.  I was hoping she could step up to the 3rd grade level, but she can't force her brain to do something it isn't ready for.

I have to continuously remind myself to relax and work with her where she is.  If we are consistent she will progress.  Really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment