Thursday, February 2, 2012

Quotes

I struggle.  I struggle with the decision to follow through every day.  I am lazy.  I procrastinate. 

But, I know it isn't right.  So, I keep trying to be a better homeschooling mom.

Recently there was a thread about academic rigor in homeschooling (or the lack of it in homeschooling circles).  Honestly, we will never be there, but I came across some quotes that I hope will continue to inspire me to keep trying for our best.

"Here's a challenge: This year, refuse to lower your expectations. Instead, raise them. And then exceed them. Enough of the whining and complaining and self-indulgence. Teach, **** it. Lead. Coach. Motivate. Inspire. Give your students the best that you have to offer every. single. day. Remember: The goal is a lifetime of excellence, not a day or two here and there. A lifetime. Begin, then, with raised expectations -- of yourself and of your students. " (Mental Multivitamin)

"If I am reading you correctly, though, I know exactly what is the type of person you have in mind, I know them IRL. Run away from those in big leaps. Talk about these issues with people who will lift you higher rather than drag you down. Keep your children, in their formative years, as away from those attitudes as you would keep them away from morally very questionable choices. Surround them with people and ideas who will lift them higher, to the maximum extent of your possibility. Do not cultivate mediocrity. It will grow all around you, but you do not have to cultivate it in your little corner of the world where you live with your family." (Ester Maria)

No comments:

Post a Comment